Over here at the Bear Mattress office, we’re pretty crazy for pumpkin… everything. From seeds to sweets to beer, coffee, smoothies and even dog treats, pumpkin is a healthy, versatile and inexpensive ingredient. People who say too much of a good thing is actually a bad thing are really just not creative with ingredients. We’ve pulled our favorite recipes from around the net to give you the ultimate gourd guide this autumn.
- Seasoned, Roasted Pumpkin Seeds. Never throw those pumpkin seeds away post-carving! Pumpkin seeds are rich in zinc, magnesium, Omega-3s and tryptophan (a sleep-enhancing amino acid!). Our favorite flavor combos? Honey sriracha, vanilla nutmeg and pumpkin pie spice!
- Pumpkin Pie Smoothie. If you’ve read the blog before, you know we’re always trying to find healthy dessert recipes. This one from Amy’s Healthy Baking is incredible, tastes like pumpkin pie filling and clocks in at 75 calories per serving. We made just one change, and replaced the truvia with agave!
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal. Warm, gooey, delicious, easy AND healthy. This breakfast food is packed with protein and fiber to help you start your day right. Plus, it just tastes like autumn.
- Clean, Vegan Pumpkin Spice Coffee Creamer. Although we all love a good pumpkin spice latte every once in awhile, the sweetness of the drink is a bit much for us. But with this creamer, you can control the amount of flavor you get! it’s made with almond milk, pumpkin puree and a bunch of spices, so it’s good for you, too,
- Spicy Pumpkin and Butternut Ramen. Need we say more?
- No Bake Pumpkin Oat Dog Treats. Adding a little pumpkin to your dog’s diet is a great way to get her a little extra fiber. These treats are made with oats, water and pumpkin puree - so easy and you don’t even have to cook them!
- Homemade pumpkin puree. Since this ingredient is in all the aforementioned recipes, we figured we needed to show you how to make it. It’s actually very, very easy and is a lot more flavorful than the canned variety!
Happy pumpkining. We’re gonna go make that ramen. Right now.